Skip to content


This Student Resources information is for informational purposes only. Students may use any vendors they prefer.

A US bank account will make managing your finances easier. Once you choose a bank, they will ask you for certain information to open the account possibly including a photo identification, your mailing address, money to deposit, and other personal information. Some banks may ask for your Social Security Number (SSN). If you do not have an SSN, you can request a letter for your bank through the ISS Portal.

Be sure to monitor your bank account activity regularly. Notify your bank immediately if you see anything unexpected.

Ask about any potential fees including overdraft fees, account fees, ATM fees, or international wire transfer fees before signing up for the account. 

Documents Typically Needed to Open a Bank Account:
  • Passport
  • I-20
  • Second ID (student ID card or US driver’s license)
  • Proof of university enrollment (class schedule)
  • Initial deposit money
  • I-94 Card
Some banks may require other documents, so be sure to ask what documents they need.

Bank of America: 
Student Checking Account Info 
International Wire Transfers 
Contact Information 

Stilt Banking:
Stilt is an online bank providing banking and loan services specifically for international students. You may set up this account before arriving in the US.
Stilt Banking Website
Stilt Banking Information
Loans Website

Huntington National Bank (formerly TCF Bank):
Student Checking Account Info 
Contact Information 

US Bank:
Student Checking Account Info 
How much does a wire transfer cost? 
Contact Information 

Wells Fargo:
This bank has many locations and ATMs in the Twin Cities area.
Student Checking Account Info
Foreign Exchange 
Sending Money Overseas 
Contact Information