Skip to content

Tax Information

**The federal and MN income tax filing deadlines have both been extended to May 17, 2021.**

What does it mean to file taxes?
To “file your taxes," you complete the required tax forms for the previous year and mail them to the appropriate address. Be sure to keep a copy for yourself!

What forms do I need to file?
1. If you (and your F-2 dependents) were in the US for at least one day during the tax year, you need to file Form 8843. If you were not in the US in that tax year, you do not need to file this form.

Form 8843 - All F-1 students and their F-2 dependents (any age) must file Form 8843 even if you didn’t earn income in the US. This is an information form. Mail each Form 8843 in a separate envelope for each family member. If you did not earn income in the US in the tax year, you only need to file Form 8843.

Send your federal Form 8843 to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215

2. If you earned income in the US in the tax year, you need to file both Form 8843 and Form 1040NR. You need to file Form M-1 as well.

Form 8843 - Mail together with your Form 1040NR.
Form 1040NR - U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return. You must file this form to claim a refund of taxes paid.
Form M-1 or M1-PR - Minnesota Tax Return - See instructions for who should file. 

We recommend you use a tax preparation service such as Sprintax if you have questions about any of the above forms. (See FAQs for more information on Sprintax.)

Send your federal Form 1040NR to:
Department of the Treasury
Internal Revenue Service Center
Austin, TX 73301-0215
*Note: If you are mailing a payment to the IRS, you may need to use a different address. Verify the mailing address on the IRS website before mailing payments.

Send your Minnesota Form M-1 to:
Minnesota Department of Revenue
Mail Station 0010
600 N. Robert Street
St. Paul, MN 55145-0010

Send your Minnesota Form M1-PR to:
Minnesota Property Tax Refund
Mail Station 0020
600 N. Robert St.
St. Paul, MN 55145-0020

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

What is the deadline for filing taxes?
In the United States, "Tax Day" is the day on which individual income tax returns are due to be submitted to the federal government. This is usually on or around April 15th each year. **The federal and MN income tax filing deadlines have both been extended to May 17, 2021.**

Where can I learn more about my tax filing requirements?
Sprintax has a Youtube page and PDF informational book with nonresident tax information.

Study in the States has a Filing Taxes 101 page about requirements for F-1 students and links to the Internal Revenue Service's (IRS) website on who must file and how to file.

The Nonresident Tax Help Group is a non-profit group located in the Twin Cities that helps with federal and Minnesota tax forms and tax questions. You can contact them at

Can ISS help me with my tax forms?
No. Tax law in the US is complex, and ISS staff are not tax experts. We cannot help you with your tax forms.  

Who can help me prepare and file my tax forms?
You may use Sprintax Nonresident Tax Preparation. This is an online tax preparation service for international students. Sprintax can help you complete the Form 8843, 1040NR, and MN state tax forms.

If you have been in the US for 5 calendar years or more, you may be a "resident for tax purposes." See below in the FAQ for more information.

What tax documents will I need to complete these forms?
Depending on your situation, you may receive a Form W-2, 1098-T, 1099INT, 1099DIV, 1099MISC, or 1095. 

What about a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)?
Generally, students will either have an SSN or ITIN for use on tax related documents. Students are eligible for an SSN if they have had paid on or off-campus work. Students who have not been eligible for an SSN in the past may be eligible for an ITIN instead. Talk to your tax professional for more information on ITINs.

To learn more about SSNs for international students, visit the ISS Portal info page or the Social Security Administration info page.

To learn more about ITINS for international students, visit the Internal Revenue Services (IRS) info page.

What about Form 1098-T and 1042-S? 
Form 1098-T will be issued to all students with a social security number. Students can view this form in CSP Connect. Form 1042-S is not issued by CSP as it is only for scholarships that provide living expenses. CSP only awards tuition scholarships.

To view your tax forms, go to the CSPConnect Tab in Blackboard. Scroll down to "My Account by Term. Click on the "Student" tab, and select the term. Click on "Student Records," and scroll down to Tax Notification. Enter the current tax year to find your forms.

Please contact Student Financial Services ( or 651-603-6300) with additional questions.

Do I really have to file these tax forms?
There is no monetary penalty for not filing the Form 8843.
However, F-1 visa laws say students must follow all US laws. Tax laws are US laws.
Applicants for H-1B work visas and permanent residency (“green cards”) are frequently asked to show proof of tax filing for previous years in the U.S.

If I file, will I have to pay taxes?
It depends on your individual situation. Not everyone will pay taxes to the US government, but all F-1 visa holders are required to file the appropriate paperwork (Form 8843, Form 1040NR, etc.)
International students may be entitled to a number of benefits and exemptions. In fact, if you paid too much tax throughout the year, you may be entitled to a refund check.

What does it mean to be a “resident” for tax purposes?
If you entered the US more than five calendar years ago, you may be treated as a US resident for filing your taxes. You will not be able to use Sprintax or the Form 1040NR. In this case, you can use another online tax prep service or go to a tax preparation store front like H&R Block. Ex. You entered the US any time (even one day) in 2016 = 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020. You will be a tax resident for first time in tax year 2020. You should verify your individual situation with the tax software you use or your tax preparer.

Am I eligible for COVID economic stimulus payments?
Taxpayers won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if they are a nonresident for tax purposes for 2020. For more details, visit

What about FICA (Social Security and Medicare) withholdings?
This information applies to individuals in F-1 status who are considered nonresident aliens for tax purposes. 

You are NOT subject to Social Security and Medicare tax withholding on your wages if you have on-campus employment, CPT, OPT, or approved Economic Hardship. You can read more information on the IRS' website HERE.

If your employer has withheld these taxes in error, follow these steps:
1. You must first request a refund of these taxes from your employer. If your employer is able to refund the Social Security and Medicare taxes, then no further action is necessary.
2. If your employer is unable to refund these taxes, request a statement outlining their denial of your refund, then you may then file Form 843 and Form 8316 to request a refund from IRS.

Can I get a tax refund from the MN Certificate of Rent Paid by filing Form M-1PR?
You may qualify if you meet the following requirements. You must be a resident of MN for 183 days or more and must rent/own/maintain an abode upon which property taxes were paid. You must not have both: Gross income of less than $4,300 and received more than 50% of your support by outside sources (family, etc.) Note: Any money that goes towards tuition is considered income (aid, loans, money from parents, scholarship, etc.). 

What are my requirements if I have a different visa status than F-1?
Please contact a tax professional to talk about your individual requirements.

The information contained in this web site is not intended as, and does not serve as, legal advice. It is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional tax advice. Content is subject to change, and students are advised to consult an experienced tax professional for advice and further information. Neither Concordia University, St. Paul nor the Office of International Student Services is responsible for any errors or omissions contained in this website, or for the results obtained from the use of this information.