Skip to content

Driver's License and State ID

You can choose to get either a driver's license or state ID, but you do not need both. In Minnesota, both the driver's license and state ID are legal identifications for financial transactions (banks, shops, etc.) and age check (alcohol, tobacco, etc.). 

Note: You will need a transcript with your birthdate on it to get a driver's license or state ID.
  • You can request a DMV transcript in the ISS Portal by putting in a Letter Request for "Driver's License" or "State ID."
    • The Registrar's office will issue one free "DMV Purposes Only" transcript with your birthdate.
    • You must pay for future DMV transcript requests.
    • You will need to show a photo ID to pick up your transcript.
Read more about Applying for a Driver's License or State ID Card from This fact sheet contains info on:
  • Eligibility, applying, documentation, FAQs, etc.
Driver's License:
Drivers are required to change to a MN driver's license within 60 days.
  • You may use your country's driving permit before changing to a MN driver's license; however, an International Driver's Permit (IDP) is often more well-known and recognized.
If you already have a US driver's license, you will have to take a written test to get a MN driver's license. If you do not already have a US driver's license, you will have to take a written test and road test.
  • Study the MN Drivers' Manual to prepare for the written test. 
  • Make an appointment to take the written test (or road test) at a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Testing Center.
  • Take your immigration documents and DMV transcript with you to your appointment.
DMV Testing Centers:
(call for hours and appointment availability)
35WN & Co. Rd. I, Arden Hills, (651) 639-4057
2070 Cliff Rd., Eagan, (651) 388-1870
2455 Fernbrook Lane, Plymouth, (612) 341-3401
530 W. Main St., Anoka, (612) 422-3401

State ID:
To get a MN State ID, bring your immigration documents and DMV transcript to a Service Center that issues first-time IDs.
  • Two locations are The Minneapolis Government Center (300 South 6th St Minneapolis MN, 55487) and Midtown Exchange Service Center (2929 Chicago Ave S Minneapolis MN, 55407). 
MN Real ID Requirements:
Starting May 3, 2023, a REAL ID-compliant license or identification card or another acceptable form of identification will be required to board a domestic flight or enter a federal facility.
  • View a list of required documents for the MN Real ID here: