- Travel signatures are valid for one year and must be valid on the day you return to a US port of entry.
- Before traveling, renew your I-20 travel signature with a DSO at ISS.
- Allow 3 business days to receive the travel signature.
- Your most recent I-20 (with valid travel signature)
- Valid F-1 visa (valid on the day you return to a US port of entry)
- Passport (valid 6 months into the future)
- Financial documentation matching your I-20 (bank statement, etc.)
- Unofficial transcript or class schedule as proof of registration
- Students on OPT/STEM OPT should travel with their valid Employment Authorization Document (EAD)
- There are some exceptions to travel on an expired F-1 visa through “automatic revalidation” to the following countries: Canada, Mexico, and adjacent islands (excluding Cuba). Students from Iran, Syria, Sudan, and Cuba are not eligible for automatic revalidation. Please see your DSO at ISS for more information.
- If you have been stopped more than once in secondary inspection after arriving to the U.S., you can try to correct it. Go to DHS Trip and follow the steps listed there.
- If you will be traveling outside the United States for longer than 5 months, be sure to meet with your DSO at ISS before withdrawing from classes to discuss a Leave of Absence.