Change of Status Information and Request
There are two options for changing status to F-1. ISS will issue an I-20 to you for the purpose of changing your status.
Apply to change your status to F-1 outside of the US.
- For this option, CSP will issue an initial status I-20. You would then depart the US, apply for an F-1 visa, and return with the F-1 visa and CSP I-20 to gain F-1 status. Please be advised that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) makes the final decision to admit students to the US at a port of entry.
Apply to change your status to F-1 status inside the US with an immigration lawyer.
- For this option, CSP will issue a change of status I-20. You would be responsible to work with an immigration lawyer on the change of status (COS) process. Due to changes in USCIS practice and policy around adjudicating F-1 COS applications, Concordia is not able to advise students on the COS process. ISS recommends all students applying for a change of status work with an immigration lawyer on this process. An immigration lawyer can best provide you with up-to-date information on immigration applications, trends, and policies. You can view a list of immigration lawyers in the ISS Portal though you can work with anyone you prefer.
- You are required to monitor the start date on your COS I-20 and notify ISS at least two weeks BEFORE that date if your COS application is still pending with USCIS. This will allow ISS time to update your start date to a later term in SEVIS and issue you a new I-20. If you do not do this, USCIS may deny your COS application.
- Once the Change of Status is approved:
- Complete the Change of Status Document Check Request to upload your USCIS Approval Notice OR F-1 visa and I-94 showing F-1 status.
- Once the Change of Status Document Check Request is received, ISS will register your record in SEVIS.
- Notify ISS if you would like to enroll in CSP's health insurance plan in the next eligible term or submit your Health Insurance Waiver Submission Request to ISS.
To initiate a request, click here and login with Campus ID (use your CSP credentials). Requests can be found in the “Control Center” section of the request page.