Skip to content

Change of Status Information and Request

There are two options for changing status to F-1. ISS will issue an I-20 to you for the purpose of changing your status.

Option 1: 
Apply to change your status to F-1 outside of the US.
  • For this option, CSP will issue an initial status I-20. You would then depart the US, apply for an F-1 visa, and return with the F-1 visa and CSP I-20 to gain F-1 status. Please be advised that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) makes the final decision to admit students to the US at a port of entry.  
Option 2: 
Apply to change your status to F-1 status inside the US with an immigration lawyer.
  • For this option, CSP will issue a change of status I-20. You would be responsible to work with an immigration lawyer on the change of status (COS) process. Due to changes in USCIS practice and policy around adjudicating F-1 COS applications, Concordia is not able to advise students on the COS process. ISS recommends all students applying for a change of status work with an immigration lawyer on this process. An immigration lawyer can best provide you with up-to-date information on immigration applications, trends, and policies. You can view a list of immigration lawyers in the ISS Portal though you can work with anyone you prefer.
More information about change of status can be found on the Study in the States website here.  

Important Reminders:
  • You are required to monitor the start date on your COS I-20 and notify ISS at least two weeks BEFORE that date if your COS application is still pending with USCIS. This will allow ISS time to update your start date to a later term in SEVIS and issue you a new I-20. If you do not do this, USCIS may deny your COS application.
  • Once the Change of Status is approved: 
    • Complete the Change of Status Document Check Request to upload your USCIS Approval Notice OR F-1 visa and I-94 showing F-1 status.
    • Once the Change of Status Document Check Request is received, ISS will register your record in SEVIS.
    • Notify ISS if you would like to enroll in CSP's health insurance plan in the next eligible term or submit your Health Insurance Waiver Submission Request to ISS.
Request your Change of Status I-20 or submit your Change of Status Document Check Request:
To initiate a request, click here and login with Campus ID (use your CSP credentials). Requests can be found in the “Control Center” section of the request page.